Please CLICK HERE to sign up for email updates from Emtnester.

emtnester

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Full Circle of Life

And so it happened.....Exactly four years after I dropped her off on the granite steps of Dickinson College and began writing posts for this Emtnester blog of what life would be like as an empty nest Mom..........she graduates.  My baby became a college graduate, wearing a smile from ear to ear, surrounded by a wonderful boyfriend, a delightful group of girlfriends and sorority sisters.  Could it have really gone by so fast?  Much has happened since then, as many of you know through my rantings and my tears and my exhaustion and my fears.  And yet, I can remember hugging her goodbye four years ago like it was yesterday.  We waived goodbye as she drove off in her little Honda, packed to the gills, off to her first job as a research fellow in Alabama! 

I am a proud Mom.  My children are all wonderful human beings, despite having spent their formative years with me.  They are funny. They are polite.  They are close without living close to each other. They understand me.  They appreciate the good things about me and giggle together about the silly things about me.  They are a joy to be around.  But alas, they are spread out all over this country. I am glad they are experiencing different cultures, different environments, but that doesn't mean I selfishly want to go hang out and live with each one of them. I think they secretly think I just might do that some year....You know, hang with one, then spend the next week with the other and then the other....then repeat!  But there's no need to worry, I have my place in life.  It is with my husband and my golden retriever in Scottsdale, AZ. And, I have a lovely job with Worth New York and I enjoy the women I am working with in this company.  It is fulfilling and can be great fun.

And I will always have my sister....my strength....my buddy.....my confidant.  And I have my Mom....my constant.....my guide.  So, lest you think I am complaining, I am not.  But I will be the first to admit that there still isn't a day go by that I don't swell up inside...missing my kids!  Not. one. day! 

And life goes on,.......I am getting older.  I may be getting wiser.  There could be stories to tell still.  I hope there are.  I hope they are funny.  I hope if I share them with you, you can laugh or cry or feel something worth feeling.    


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home